Welcome to Greystones Educate Together’s first Science Club.
Here you will get a glimpse of what we get up to.
In our 2nd term this year in Science Club we were very busy with new experiments.
1. Cleaning Dirty Water
2. Walking Water
3. Bottle Xylophone
4. A Simple Extinguisher
5. How Strong are Eggshells
6. Exploding Lunch Bags
7. Surface Tension
8. Oil and Water Mixing
Our last week of Science Club
Our focus this week was “Living Things”
We learned all about the heart from a PowerPoint then we got lamb’s hearts to look at and dissect.
We had to first find the vena cava, aorta, pulmonary artery and the pulmonary vein with our hands.
Next we got to cut open the heart and find the 4 chambers of the heart; right atrium, left atrium, right ventricle and left ventricle.
It was a messy experiment but a fun one, we loved it!
1. We made rainbow spinners this week, we wanted to see colours mix together when they spin.
2. We made more rockets this week as we had so much fun last week.
Battery went dead on the camera so we have not that many photos this week.
Our focus this week in Science Club was “Design and Make”
1. Surface Tension, we created bubbles using washing up liquid and straws.
2. We made catapults using lollipop sticks, plastic spoons and elastic bands.
3. Make the dogs tail wag, this in an energy and forces experiment, we had to make dogs and use paper fasteners to make the dogs tail wag.
4. Paper Soccer Ball and Straws Game, we had to design and make soccer balls and then use straws to score goals with them.
5. We made rockets (plastic bottles) and a rocket launcher and went out to the yard and filled the bottles with water and pumped air into them to launch them up into the air. We had a competition to see who could get the highest rocket.
Our focus this week was “Energy and Forces”.
1. We looked at how magnets attract and we made magnet trials that we used with magnets and paper clips.
2. We made spiral snake spinners and looked at how heat from a radiator can make it spin.
3. We made acrobatic clowns and used different materials like plasticine and coins to make the clowns balance on our noses.
4. We used sparkling water to make raisins dance.
5. We investigate force of toy cars on different materials, we tested out cars on paper, card, bubble wrap etc. The toy car had to go down a wooden slope and on to the material. We predicted first to guess what material would work best, then we tested and measure the distance the cars went.
6. Floating and Sinking Experiment, using playdough we made boats to see who could make the best boat that would float and not sink.
First Week -Week 1
Our focus this week was “Materials”, and how materials change, and what materials work best to make bridges and helicopters.
1. We made bridges from different materials.
2. We looked at how heat can effect materials, can the heat of our hand melt chocolate and ice cubes.
3. We made rice krispies buns to investigate how materials change.
4. We made goop (slime).
5. We used baking soda and vinegar to blow up a balloon.
6. We made helicopters from paper and cardboard to see what material worked best to make the helicopters fly.